Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Bryce & Kade!

There are no words, as many moms will agree, to explain the joy and excitement of having children. I do not know where the last 2 years have gone but I can hardly remember life before the boys were born. Posting the pictures below bring back many memories that seem so recent. These pictures were taken exactly 2 years ago today. I almost chuckle when I look at the first one. I was so anxious to be a mom; however, I truly did not know what awaited me. Without a doubt, God did and He has continued to bless us every second of every minute of every day by simply letting us be Bryce & Kade's parents.
Bryce was born at 2:38 pm and Kade was born at 2:40 pm. Bryce weighed 3#9 ounces and was 16 1/4 inches in length. Kade weighed 4# and was 17 inches in length. The moment I saw Bryce, he stole my heart forever. The moment I saw Kade, I was in love. I was only allowed to see them for a few seconds before they were whisked away for oxygen. I remember lying there seeing Jason walk out with Bryce in his arms and a nurse had Kade. I was still on the operating table and I remember thinking, how fair is this? I remember hearing the words, "I don't like his color...get him some oxygen" right before they left the operating room. Typing those words right now actually bring tears to my eyes; however, amazingly, I was able to keep my composure that day. I give 100% credit to God for that amazing grace He had placed over me. I am not a calm person and I often have anxiety and I have to say that was the most stressful day of my life and I never once lost my composure. This was simply an answered prayer. From the moment I knew I was pregnant I asked God on a daily basis to help me through delivery and without a doubt He not only helped me, he carried me.
I had the best nurses a person could ask for and the boys had angels for nurses. Aside from a few significant nose bleeds, I had the best pregnancy. The boys were delivered at exactly 34 weeks. According to the ultrasound, they were even earlier than that. I had several series of steroid shots between 26 & 32 weeks of pregnancy to help the boys' lungs mature. After reading other stories of preemies & micropreemies, I certainly realize how blessed we were. Although there is no way to prepare a parent for leaving their new born children in the NICU for any amount of time, we were aware of this risk. The Friday before the boys were born, we had an ultrasound and the technician would only say, "they're going to be some tiny babies". This statement repeated in my head 100's of times over the next 2 days before the boys were born. I believe that I left the recovery room in record time because the nurses promised to push my bed through the nursery so I could see my boys one last time before I went to my room. You can see my brief visits with the boys in the pictures below. Like I said earlier, I had the best nurses. Although I wanted to be with them every second, the reality was that I couldn't. I am so grateful that my nurses realized this and made a tough situation a bit easier on me.
I truly believe that God kept me fairly clueless during the entire pregnancy, during delivery, and during the 3 weeks in the NICU. Had I known the many risks that we surpassed, I would have been a wreck!!! I thrive on knowledge and educating myself, but ignorance was certainly bliss for me during this time. I know that sounds somewhat petty, but looking back, I can honestly see how blessed we were and I am so grateful.



You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body, and knit them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. Your workmanship is marvelous - and how well I know it. You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion! You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breath. Every day was recorded in your Book! Psalm 139: 13-16




Dear Lord,


Thank you so much for your beautiful blessings that you have so graciously allowed Jason and me to have in our lives. I pray that Jason and I will be able to reach your expectations and raise them according to your will. I pray for strength and guidance in parenting. Please let Bryce & Kade feel our unconditional love, just as we feel your unconditional love. Thank you so much for your abundant blessings in our lives.









Kade (L) Bryce (R)
Bryce
Kade
Daddy & Bryce


Kade

Bryce

Kade

Mommy & Kade

Mommy & Bryce

Bryce

Kade

4 comments:

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

What blessing they are indeed! Praise God for his goodness!

Kierstyn said...

Amazing story of God's amazing grace, love and goodness! Thanks for sharing. You had me crying!

Samantha Shepard said...

Your beautiful boys are an extension of their wonderful mommy. I feel blessed to know you and enjoy very much watching them grow.

Amy said...

2 years? Wow...

Beautiful.